Happy *almost* October my friends. We’re one month closer to this hellish year being over. Not that we have any end in sight to the Pandemic thanks to a severe lack of leadership, but alas, the sooner winter comes, the sooner it’ll be over and I think we’re all just trying to **get through it**. I for one am NOT looking forward to the cold dreariness of the winter months ahead, nor am I looking forward to celebrating the holidays sans family. As much as I dread our annual great migration north to see family for short intervals in what has oft been my limited vacation time, we haven’t seen either side since last Christmas and we miss them all dearly.
I digress. Let’s talk happy like enjoying the brisk fall days while we can. There is NOTHING I love more than fall. The crisp, fresh fall air – the lost days of the gross summer humidity, and the smell of chimneys and bonfires around the neighborhood.
Each year, I often put together a little seasonal bucket list of fun ways to enjoy the season. This year with social distancing still in full effect, and many of our favorite places kind of still on our ehhhhh list for visiting, I shortened our list but it’s still going to be a fun one for little man and us.
- Pumpkin Picking – I mean what is fall without picking some pumpkins? We’re going to go get ours
- Backyard fires – we love a good backyard bonfire with some cozy
- Go leaf-peeping – I grew up in Vermont so the colors changing is a BFD to me. Maryland’s leaf-peeping season is a bit later than up north but we’ve gone to Western Maryland a couple of times and LOVED it so I want to hit up the region once the trees start changing here to bring a little home here.
- Go Apple Picking – I’m not sure where we’re at with apple picking season – this is something we’ll probably do in the next weekend or two, but I love picking apples and hubs loves to bake with them so we’re really two of a kind.
- Get family pictures done – each fall we do a photo session for our Christmas cards. One of these years I’ll frame them all, but I want to try to get them done earlier this year versus late November when it’s freezing out.
- Go Hiking – since I stopped running, I’ve really enjoyed walking and hiking. We’ve gone out a couple of times but I want to do it more when you know, it’s not grossly hot out and you start sweating buckets in the first five minutes. There are a few great hiking places around the area so it’s just a matter of rallying the family (little man is ehhh on anything physically active so it’s like pulling teeth to get him to oblige). I have recently kind of started running again –
- Drive around looking at the Halloween decorations – We haven’t decided what we’re doing for Halloween yet but it’s highly likely that we will NOT be trick or treating. BUT, one thing we do at Christmas is drive around look at the lights, so we’re going to do that for Halloween looking at all the spooky houses.
- Decorate my house. I don’t know about you, but I have a whole bin full of fall decorations. I just pulled it out last weekend when we cleaned out our basement. Also, I really want to invest in some more lights for Halloween because, YOLO.