So recently I started focus on a more 80/20 clean eating plan. I haven’t been great at it this past month, in fact I’ve been really horrible at it. BUT I know this. And I know what I need to do to fix it. I’m constantly asked “How do you eat clean on the go?” So I compiled my top five tips to eat clean on the go or when you’re super busy.
1. Plan clean snacks. If I know I have a dinner out for Junior League or a lunch meeting, I make sure I bring clean snacks (celery and peanut butter is a favorite of mine, berries are another great snack) to eat during the day. Also, I always plan for a clean breakfast – whether it’s a shake or eggs – I start my day off with clean eating to make sure I set myself up for success.
2. Plan, plan, plan!!! Not just snacks but every Sunday I plan out my meals for the week. I take into account any client meetings where I might have lunch out or any dinner events. I always tell hubs “fail to plan…plan to fail” and it’s so true.
3. Leftovers make great lunches. If you plan a clean dinner make enough for leftovers. Todays lunch? Leftover whole wheat pasta, red sauce and sausage – measured out when I made my plate last night.
4. Don’t beat yourself up if you “cheat”. I don’t like to call it “cheating,” it’s indulging. I plan out my indulgences. For instance, I’m on a hiatus from drinking to cleanse my system BUT i know that Wednesday night the wine will be flowing pretty heavily at a work event, so I’ll make sure I fit in my workout, and make sure that I eat well. I don’t beat myself up for indulging, I just make to sure to keep my indulgences in check.
5. Keep the boozehound at bay. Listen, I like wine. I like wine. Especially good wine and beer. Lately, I’ve been hitting the bottles more frequently and my pants are now protesting. Keeping your boozing at bay is an easy way to eat better. Not only do we eat more when we drink but let’s be honest, booze is a bunch of empty calories anyhow.
So what does a clean eating day look like?
For me it looks something like this:
Breakfast: shakeology or omelet with salsa and black beans
Morning snack: juice (we juice at the office, yesterday I had a glass of kale, cucumber and pear juice – it was delicious!)
Lunch: Salad. I hate making salads so if I don’t make my own, I’ll pick one up from the salad bar at Giant or I have special place for the southwest grilled chicken salad from McDonalds if I’m really not on my game for lunches.
Afternoon snack: This is when I usually have celery and peanut butter or carrots and hummus.
Dinner: Glazed salmon with roasted acorn squash. or grilled turkey burgers with whole wheat pasta salad have been two regular meals lately.
Are you interested in eating clean? We have a clean eating accountability group starting up NEXT WEEK! Let me know if you’re interested!