Hubs and I aren’t big Valentine’s Day people.
My theory is, showing how much you love someone shouldn’t be subject to one holiday, one arbitrary day if you will. It should be an everyday type thing.
This year, we’re on a tight budget so we’re having a date night in, and heading up to CT for the “long” weekend (I say long weekend because Hubs has presidents Day off whereas, I am taking the time.) for some QT with the in-laws who offered up some free babysitting.
Here are ten easy ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day on the cheap…
- Have a dinner date at home. We love making something a little more extravagant than usual for Valentines Dinner in. Homemade dumplings, linguine with Clams. Because it’s Ash Wednesday I think we’re ordering sushi (no meat!) instead.
- Have an indoor picnic with a movie. Pour some wine, make some popcorn and a charcuterie board and cuddle up under a blanket. Massage each other’s feet and just enjoy a night in with candles and a good romcom.
- Go ice skating. Skate rentals are inexpensive and if you can find a place outdoors, it can be super romantic at night. Similarly, if you’re like us and have a (welcome) third wheel on daytime dates, it can also be kid-friendly and super fun for little ones too.
- Hit up a local brewery or winery. Our favorites? Diamondback in Baltimore, Black Flag in Columbia, Boordy in Baltimore County, or Linganore out in Mount Airy. Bonus if they’re relatively kiddo friendly – some are more so than others 🙂
- Workout together. Seriously, hubs and I are super competitive. We workout together once per week (well, really we go to the gym, I run, he does weights) but this weekend, we’re hitting up an Orange Theory Fitness class this weekend when we’re up north which I am SUPER excited about. I tried it ONCE in Atlanta on a business trip, and LOVED it so I’m jazzed to share.
- Have a game night in. We love Yahtzee, Kinder Perfect, and Kings in the Corner. We usually play when little man goes to bed, turn on some tunes and sip some wine. It’s a really inexpensive fun way to spend some quality time together.
- Bake your favorite dessert together. I’ll be making these vegan blueberry muffins with a festive (likely non-vegan) frosting on top for us all to enjoy this week.
- Do some Yoga together. Whether you decide to take a class, or just do a video. Getting your om on can be not only relaxing but also kind of romantic.
- Road trip. Go explore a new town, grab a fun lunch and explore a new town for an afternoon. Some fun road trips from our area? Frederick, St. Michaels, Richmond, or Harpers Ferry, WV.
- Hit up a museum. Since we’re so close to DC, hitting up a museum can be inexpensive and super fun for an afternoon. If you have little ones to bring along, go somewhere kiddo friendly where they can let loose.